Monday, May 31, 2010

Bike riding with the Clampits....

was a howling success.

We invited some friends to go biking with us yesterday. Thankfully we arrived before them or it would have been more noticeable that the dog ate half the driver's seat and the six of us spilled out of a vehicle with almost as many dents as a golf ball.
We did this trail several weeks ago and it went fine. I don't know what Davis' problem was--but HE was our problem. He whined and groaned and moaned. Then the guys went back to get the cars and meet us (two moms, eight kids, and seven bikes) downhill in the next town.....seven miles away. We definitely got the short end of the stick.The guys were barely out of sight before Davis moved from complaints to tears. After two miles of his bellyaching, I was ready to pitch my good-mom badge into the ditch....and him with it.

It was so beautiful. I really wanted to enjoy the ride and the company....not listen to my whiny five-year-old.
Two miles later I accepted Kendra's offer to put Davis in their pull-behind(I know there's another name for that thing.) That only left her with Adelyn in the seat behind her while pulling Jack and Davis. The big problem was what to do with Davis' bike. We thought we could add it to the pull-behind, but that wasn't working so hot.
The final and most workable option, but also the noisiest, was to drag it behind me. Bikes do not remain upright when being dragged. The cacophony will make that ride memorable for years.
Did I mention that Davis was a total peach after that? Unfortunately, the bike will never be the same. Here are a couple pictures of people who did not cry during the bike ride.

2 comments:

  1. Very well told, Ellie Mae...and we did notice that the dog had eaten half the driver's seat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, at least I'm Ellie Mae. I hoped for granny, but figured I'd be stuck as Jethro(or whoever he was.) Too bad we couldn't add sound effects to this post, eh? Between the wailing and dragging we had quite the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

    ReplyDelete